Since we currently have a bumper crop of roses at Rose Manor I'm trying my hand at making Rose Water with the apron brown method.....which is referanced in his bakclava show....
It kinda looks like I'm cooking ice doesn't it? But actually here is the method I'm using:
1. Pick lots of petals off my rose bushes
2. Place elevating object in bottom of pot. I didn't have any bricks so a small wide mouth canning jar is doing the duty.
3. Place petals in pot till they come up to about the level of the canning jar.
4. Place bowl on top of jar. In my case a pyrex bowl.....in altons a stainless steel bowl.....reguardless it needs to be both cook safe and non reactive.
5. Fill the pot with water just high enough to mostly cover the petals.
6. Put lid on pot upside down. Fill lid with ice. This promotes rapid condensation.
7. Turn on heat at medium to medium low. Maintain heat for two hours, replenishing ice as needed.
8. Kill the heat and let the pot cool for several hours.
9. Retrive bowl of rose water! Now I just need to package it!